Marinara Sauce with Hidden Vegetables
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 packed cup of grated carrot
- 1 ½ packed cups of grated zucchini
- ½ of a medium onion cut into chunks
- 3-4 celery ribs cut roughly into chunks
- 4 - 5 garlic cloves
- 1 can of whole peeled or diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree optional
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
Place the carrot, zucchini, onion, garlic cloves and celery in a blender. Process until you have pureed the vegetables together.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When it's hot, add the pureed vegetable and cook until the moisture has evaporated and it starts to caramelize and turn brown.
Add the tomato to the vegetables. (Note : if you're using whole tomatoes, crush them with your hands, or pulse them in the blender to help break them up).
Add the tomato puree, vinegar, sugar, cayenne pepper and a generous pinch of salt and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the oregano and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Season to taste as you go.
You can store the marinara sauce in a bottle in the fridge.