Iced Coffee Popsicles
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Freezing time: 5 hours
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 10 servings
Iced Coffee Popsicles - A creamy coconut milk breakfast popsicle made with just 4 ingredients. They are gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and vegan-friendly as well!
- 3 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk about 2 x 13.5 oz cans
- 1/4 cup medium ground coffee 20 g of coffee
- 1/4 cup honey you can use more honey to taste
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp powdered gelatin
See notes for substitutions
Add the coconut milk, coffee and honey into a saucepan. Heat the ingredients over medium high heat while stirring, to dissolve the honey and bring the coconut milk to a simmer.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the coffee to be infused with the coconut milk - about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, place the water and sprinkle the gelatin over the surface. Allow the gelatin to bloom in the water, for at least 10 minutes (until the coffee has infused the coconut milk).
Pour the coffee coconut milk through a fine sieve to remove coffee grounds. You should have just over 3 cups of coffee coconut milk. Taste the coffee milk and add more honey or sweetener to taste (remember the coffee popsicles will taste less sweet once they are frozen).
While the coffee milk is still hot, add the bloomed gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
Pour the mixture into popsicles molds - about 10 x 3 oz popsicles. Allow the liquid to cool down slightly.
If your popsicle molds come with the sticks attached to the popsicle "lid", then simply cover your popsicles with the lids and transfer the popsicles into the freezer for at least 4 - 5 hours to completely harden (the time will depend on your freezer temperature).
If you have popsicle molds where you require the popsicle sticks to be inserted directly into the popsicles, then place the filled molds in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to thicken slightly, and then insert the popsicle sticks. This is to ensure that the popsicle sticks don't sink too far into the popsicle. Transfer the popsicles into the freezer for another least 4 - 5 hours to completely harden (the time will depend on your freezer temperature).
When you're ready to enjoy your popsicles, hold the popsicle mold under hot running tap water for a few seconds to loosen the popsicle from the mold.
Notes on Substitutions
VEGAN substitutions -
If you don't have honey, you can use your favorite sweetener instead.
- Instead of honey, use MAPLE SYRUP or even brown sugar (this will make it non-paleo).
- Instead of gelatin, use agar agar. If you're using agar agar, you will need to add the agar agar to the coffee coconut milk and reheat the milk to dissolve the agar agar until the coconut milk steams again. It may not be completely dissolved with the residual heat of the milk.
Notes on dissolving the gelatin
- Maple syrup
- Agave syrup (not paleo)
- White sugar (not paleo)
- Brown sugar (not paleo)
- The coffee coconut milk should be very warm (not boiling), so that the gelatin will dissolve in the milk. If the milk is not hot enough, you can heat it up in the microwave or on the stove to make it hot (not boiling), and then dissolve the gelatin in it.
- If you're using agar agar however, then the milk can be boiled to dissolve the agar agar.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 225mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1.4mg