Thanksgiving Leftover Savory Bread Pudding
Servings: 4 large servings
- 2 ½ cups of stuffing any kind of stuffing, doesn’t have to be bread-based, I used my Pear, Sage and Sausage Stuffing
- 4 cups of stale 1 inch bread cubes that's about 4-5 thick slices, I used an Italian bread loaf
- 1 ½ cups half n half or 50:50 of cream and milk
- 1 - 2 pears Bosc or Bartlett cut into small cubes (use 2 if your stuffing doesn't have fruits, 1 if it does)
- 1- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 5 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- Some cranberry sauce
- Extra chopped parsley
- Leftover turkey shredded about 2 packed cups at room temp
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Place half and half in a saucepan with the rosemary. Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat. Add the shredded turkey (or chicken) and let the herbs steep in the milk for about 20 - 30 minutes to infuse the flavour, and for the milk to cool down to room temperature. Then remove the rosemary sprig.
Preheat oven to 350°F, and butter a 9 x 5 inch oven proof dish.
Break the eggs into a bowl, and whisk them with the cooled rosemary infused milk mixture and turkey and salt.
In a large bowl, place the stuffing, bread cubes, pears and parsley and mix to combine. Add the custard (milk, egg, turkey mix) and mix well to coat with the custard.
Pour half of this into the buttered dish. Pour some leftover cranberry sauce on top, and place the other half of the bread pudding mix over it. Push down and leave for a few minutes to help the bread pieces soak up the custard.
Spread some more cranberry sauce on top and sprinkle (generously) some cheese and a little sea salt over it.
Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the custard has set.
Serve warm, with maple syrup.