Creamy, citrusy, sweet & refreshing – this Blood Orange Creamsicle Soda Float is a favorite for both kids and adults alike, summer or winter! Plus, it looks pretty and is a great dessert drink to celebrate Valentine’s day! 🙂
Orange creamsicles are a summer classic, but that’s not going to stop me from enjoying an orange soda float or ice cream float in the winter. It’s deeply nostalgic for me and besides, you guys know how much I love my ice cream, sodas and soda floats. Here’s another to add to my growing list of favorite dessert drinks – Blood Orange Creamsicle Soda Float! A slight twist on the classic orange creamsicle soda.
This can be made with orange syrup too, but since it’s blood orange season and I’m currently obsessed with this fruit, I just couldn’t help myself. Plus that deep red colored syrup and the pink color in the drink are gorgeous too.
With blood oranges going on sale in our local grocery store, I’ve bought so many just in the past month, but we ended up eating them before I could think of something nice to do with them. I only just managed to save enough to create two beautiful recipes – the first was this blood orange crepe suzette – irresistibly soft crepes soaked in a blood orange infused rich, citrusy caramelized syrup.
The blood orange juice syrup here is quite simple to make. It’s just blood orange juice, sugar and vanilla. If you don’t have fresh vanilla, just add a teaspoon of good vanilla extract AFTER you make the syrup. Th vanilla is a crucial part of this recipe since it gives this drink that cream soda flavor in addition to the citrus flavor of blood oranges. So you only need to add soda water to make the float, instead of cream soda (which would make this too sweet).
This blood orange creamsicle soda float is equal parts creamy, citrusy & sweet, and a refreshing dessert drink whether it’s summer or winter! It’s great for a crowd – both adults and kids. I did however add some vodka to my drink though (wink wink).
Hey, a girl’s gotta keep sane sometimes…
If you and your significant other aren’t ones to break out expensive champagne this Valentine’s day, may I suggest a blood orange creamsicle soda float? There’s nothing like a good dressert (drink + dessert) to celebrate two things that go well together! 🙂 Plus, this creamsicle soda float has the obligatory pink color, so you know.. two birds with one stone… just for you two lovebirds!
- 1½ cups freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped out, plus the empty pod) OR 2 tsp good vanilla extract
- 4 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 1 recipe of blood orange syrup
- Soda water to top
- Place all the ingredients for the syrup in a small saucepan (if you're using vanilla extract, do not add this at the beginning. This will be added at the end).
- Heat over medium heat while whisking frequently to completely dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer the syrup for a few minutes in order to reduce it to yield 1 cup of blood orange syrup.
- If you're using vanilla extract, add the extract after the syrup has been reduced. Mix to combine and let the syrup cool down to room temperature. Remove vanilla bean pod and store in the fridge until needed.
- In 4 large mugs or glasses (with 1½ cup capacity), add ¼ cup of blood orange syrup, followed by a generous scoop of ice cream.
- Top with soda water and serve with a spoon and straw. Enjoy!
If you liked this blood orange creamsicle soda float recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.