An easy recipe for homemade Vanilla Blood Orange Syrup that adds amazing flavor to all kinds of desserts, cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks!
Winter is the season for one of my absolute favorite citrus fruits – blood oranges!
I love making this Vanilla Blood Orange Syrup! The citrus and floral flavors of blood oranges are ideal for a versatile fruit syrup. It’s a delicious flavor that works well for all kinds of desserts, especially cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks. The addition of vanilla makes the natural flavors of blood orange pop even more. Besides, the deep red color looks pretty too!
I first made this syrup last winter for this delicious blood orange creamsicle soda float, and then used the rest of that blood orange syrup to flavor our cocktails. You can swap regular oranges with blood oranges for a great twist on classic recipes. After all, winter and spring are only going to bring you a bounty of these fruits, so I’m always looking for ways to make the most of it!
You can use this vanilla blood orange syrup to make a blood orange cocktails and blood orange drinks like,
Blood orange cream soda (mix half and half, with syrup and cream soda),
Sparkling blood orange sour (substitute the blood orange syrup for the blueberry syrup in this recipe here).
Vanilla Blood Orange Syrup
- 1 ½ cups of strained fresh blood orange juice
- ½ cup sugar or ⅓ cup of agave
- ½ vanilla bean pod or ½ tbsp vanilla bean paste/ extract
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar (if using sugar).
- Bring the syrup to a simmer, and then let it simmer for about 10-20 minutes, until it reduces to 1 cup of syrup.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature. Pour the syrup into a bottle and store in the fridge until needed. Use within 1 week (if refrigerated).
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”