Layers of silky smooth hazelnut liqueur flavored chocolate mousse, and hazelnut liqueur soaked ladyfingers, topped with crunchy hazelnut praline and whipped cream – this Chocolate Hazelnut Trifle is as simple to make as it is decadent! Perfect for Valentine’s day celebrations, or any time of the year!
Chocolate makes everything special for me, so it goes without saying that a Valentine’s day treat for me should most definitely feature chocolate. 🙂 And if you’re looking for a simple but decadent and intriguingly delicious chocolate dessert to make in a pinch, then I’ve got just the recipe for you today!
This Chocolate Hazelnut Trifle is EASY! It’s got a layer of light and creamy chocolate mousse flavored with hazelnut liqueur, and then another layer of hazelnut liqueur soaked ladyfingers, topped with crunchy hazelnut praline and whipped cream! And it all comes together easily thanks to Royal Delights Dessert Mixes that are perfect for those last minute romantic and celebratory desserts. These chef-inspired mixes come in two flavors – White Chocolate Dessert Mix and Chocolate French Silk Dessert Mix. I made this gorgeous chocolate hazelnut trifle with hazelnut praline, using the Royal Delights Chocolate French Silk Dessert Mix.
The Chocolate French Silk Dessert Mix is super easy to prepare. The only change I made to it was that I substituted a portion of the milk with hazelnut liqueur for an extra layer of flavor. And since this chocolate hazelnut trifle is also easy to put together, they are perfect for a crowd as well. I only made two here, because we devoured the rest of the chocolate hazelnut mousse right away! 🙂 But 1 packet of the mix can easily make 4-6 portions of this creamy, delicious chocolate hazelnut trifle.
It’s so easy that you could go out for your special dinner, but skip the dessert menu and come back home for this, because how could dessert get any more decadent and romantic than this? 🙂
The hazelnut praline is simple to make as well. Just add chopped roasted hazelnuts to caramel and then let it set. Then the cooled caramel can be crushed with a kitchen mallet or a food processor, so that you end up with sweet, caramelized, addictively crunchy hazelnut praline that’s perfect on ANY dessert!
Chocolate Hazelnut Trifle
- 1 packet of Royal Delights Chocolate French Silk Dessert Mix
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp of milk
- 2 tbsp hazelnut liqueur
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup hazelnut liqueur
- 12 sponge fingers cut into sections
- ¼ cup chopped, roasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup roasted whole hazelnuts chopped into pieces
- Place the dessert mix contents in a large bowl. Add the salt, milk and hazelnut liqueur and make the chocolate dessert mix according to package instructions.
- Mix the milk and hazelnut liqueur together in a bowl to make the soaking liquid. Soak the pieces of ladyfingers in the milk (for about 3 - 5 seconds), and arrange them in one layer on the bottom of a trifle glass.
- Pipe or spoon in a layer of the chocolate mousse, followed by some chopped hazelnuts. Repeat these layers once more (soaked ladyfingers, chocolate mousse) and then sprinkle the hazelnut praline on top (instead of chopped hazelnuts). Repeat for 3 more trifle glasses.
- Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Serve with whipped cream and more hazelnut praline.
- Sprinkle the sugar on to the bottom of a clean pan. Heat the sugar over medium heat. Watch the sugar closely as it melts and starts to caramelize. Shake the pan to evenly distribute the sugar as it caramelizes.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts and mix with a spoon to coat.
- Using a spatula, scrape the caramel and hazelnuts onto a silicon pastry mat or parchment paper. Be careful as the sugar will be extremely hot at this point.
- Once the praline has cooled and hardened, place the praline in a plastic sandwich bag and crush using a mallet or a stone pestle.
So go ahead and get your hands on these Royal Delights Chocolate French Silk Dessert Mixes to make this delicious dessert for Valentine’s day this year! You can click on this link, to find your nearest Walmart store where this product is available today.
If you liked this chocolate hazelnut trifle recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.