Layers of fudgy brownie with Kahlua flavored chocolate pastry cream, fresh strawberry and creamy vanilla whipped cream – this Strawberry Chocolate Brownie Trifle is a simple yet satisfying chocolate dessert!
If you guys have seen my Secret Layer Cakes cookbook, you’ll know that I’m a big fan of two desserts in one!
This Strawberry Chocolate Brownie Trifle combines my favorite fudgy brownies with a creamy chocolate pastry cream, plus fresh strawberries and cream! It’s a classic pairing of flavors for a satisfying and simple chocolate dessert.
And in the spirit of keeping things simple, if you don’t want to make your own chocolate brownies (I totally get you!), you can buy your favorite box mix brownies for this strawberry chocolate brownie trifle recipe.
Another great substitute for the brownies in this recipe would be leftover chocolate cake. I love using my fudgy chocolate cake here in this recipe because it’s unabashedly fudgy that it’s almost like a cake-brownie hybrid. It’s also a lighter alternative to fudgy brownies.
I prefer making this strawberry chocolate brownie trifle with chocolate creme patissiere, because it’s essentially like chocolate pudding. The one change I make to that regular chocolate pastry cream recipe is the addition of some Kahlua to give it a boozy kick. That’s optional though, so you can leave it out if you’re making these brownie trifles for kids.
I layered the chocolate pastry cream with the chocolate brownies especially because the pasty cream flavors (like Kahlua for instance), soak into the brownie layer making it even more decadent. The fresh strawberries add a fresh, fruity sweetness that contrasts well with the deep chocolate flavor.
Any time I make chocolate brownies, I like to make this strawberry chocolate brownie trifle (this chocolate hazelnut trifle is a favorite too!) because it’s just one of those simple chocolate desserts where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts! They are perfect for any time of the year, but particularly great as a summer picnic dessert, if you layer the brownie trifle in lidded mason jars. They are also perfect for Valentine’s day, date nights, birthday parties etc. But hey, do we really need an excuse to enjoy a decadent yet simple, fudgy, creamy strawberry chocolate brownie trifle? Exactly!
Strawberry Chocolate Brownie Trifle
- 1 cup of chilled whipping cream or 1 ¼ cup of cool whip
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Whipped Cream (if you’re not using cool whip)
- Combine the chilled whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Using a balloon whisk, or a hand held mix (with a whisk attachment) on low speed, whisk the whipping cream until it thickens and reaches the soft peak stage.
Strawberry Chocolate Brownie Trifle
- Mix the chocolate pastry cream with the kahlua. Mix in milk instead to make the recipe non-alcoholic.
- Cut the brownies into smaller pieces and place them in a bowl. Place the cut up strawberries in another bowl, and the pastry cream and whipped cream in separate bowls as well.
- Assemble 4 x 12 ounce glasses (or 14 ounce glasses).
- Place a layer of chocolate brownies at the bottom. Top with a layer of chocolate pastry cream (about 3 tbsp). Sprinkle some of the chopped strawberries (optional - dust icing sugar on top to make the strawberry sweeter). Top with whipped cream.
- Repeat one more time with these layers.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with extra strawberries before serving.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
If you liked this strawberry chocolate brownie trifle recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.