This will be the second time I watch the Superbowl, but I have to say I watch it mostly for the commercials! I’ve never been into watching sports very much, a fact that baffles and bemuses my husband (a bona fide sports fanatic) to no end. It works out well though, because while Mr K enjoys the game, I am entertained by the new commercials and don’t end up bugging him too much during the game. And what’s just as fun as the actual game and all the funny commercials? That would be the game day snacks of course!
I love eating yoghurt and coming up with creative and healthy ways to use yoghurt in my cooking and snacking recipes! That is how I came up with Spicy Thai Green Curry Yoghurt dip with crispy Coriander Chicken wings!
Yoghurt has always been one of my favourite things to eat. When I was little, my mum used to bait me with fruit yoghurt when I refused to eat. And it always worked. There’s always a tub of greek yoghurt in our fridge because I use it in so many different things like smoothies, salad dressings, snacks, marinades and even curries. It’s incredibly versatile and of course yummy and healthy. You can make this dip with your favorite yoghurt, but make sure its a good quality greek yoghurt. You want it to be smooth, thick, luscious and thick.
The cool tangy flavour of greek yoghurt makes for a perfect pairing with the spicy green curry. The herbs and the spices of green curry make this one of my favourite combinations of flavours and to combine it with greek yoghurt was a great idea that only dawned on me recently.
The chicken wings are also very simple to make. You can even use chicken fingers or chips or whatever you fancy. But really, super crispy chicken wings are pretty hard to beat with a really flavourful dip like this.
I have to say I’m quite hard to please when it comes to green curry. When I lived in Sydney, I was very lucky to have had a Thai restaurant just across the street from where I lived that had the most amazing green curry that I’ve ever had! It was a tiny place run by a Thai family and I still judge all green curries based on that yardstick. Unfortunately, where I live now there isn’t a good Thai restaurant that I’ve come across. Yet. But since I will not be denied of a good green curry, I decided to make my own. So now I make my own green curry paste and I love the flavour of it a lot more than that of store bought pastes. But of course you can use a store bought green curry paste for this recipe (I would recommend the Mae Ploy brand, but if you live in Australia, do yourself a HUGE favour and get your hands on Marion Grasby’s Green curry packet. Do it! Do it now!).
This recipe will work equally well with a home made green curry paste and a store bought paste. Just remember to use a very creamy greek yoghurt for this recipe though. It makes a huge difference.
Green Curry Yoghurt Dip with Coriander Crispy WingsPrint
Green Curry Yoghurt Dip
- 1 1/2 cups of unflavoured Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup of homemade green curry paste OR
- 1/4 cup of store bought green curry paste
- 2 tbsp unflavoured oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tbsp extra oil
Cripsy Coriander Chicken Wings (can doubled or tripled easily)
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp oil/ butter
Green Curry Yoghurt Dip
- In a small frying pan, heat the 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat.
- When this is hot, add the green curry paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a bowl add the yoghurt, cooked green curry paste and mix to combine.
- Add 2 tbsp each of the cilantro and basil and mix through. Add salt to taste.
- Add the remaining herbs with 1 -2 tbsp oil and drizzle over the top of the yoghurt dip before serving.
- Serve with chicken wings and crudites.
Coriander Crispy Chicken Wings
- Pat dry the thawed out chicken wings
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and ground coriander over the wings and toss to coat evenly.
- Marinade for a few hours, up to a day (if you can). If you kept it in the fridge, leave it out to thaw for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat the chicken wings in 1-2 tbsp of oil. Lay them out on a lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven.
- Bake the wings for 40- 45 minutes, flipping them during the 20 minute mark, till they are cooked through and crunchy on the out side.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, place them in a bowl and toss them with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve with the yoghurt dip.
This yoghurt dip was just fantastic! As you’d expect the herby spicy kick that you get from the green curry paste complements the flavours of the greek yoghurt really well. The chicken wings were also perfectly crispy and together this is truly an amazing game day snack. This thick flavourful dip would be perfect for crudites (may I suggest some baby corn too?), chicken or fish fingers or even chips! It was so good we ended up licking the bowl clean! And if you’re like me, you might eat the dip just by itself.
I cannot wait to make this again this weekend! I mean it’s so easy to put together, why wouldn’t you make it as often as you can? I have to confess though that when I made this dip for this blog post, I ate almost half of it with some carrot sticks, chicken wings and then another good helping with a salad. I could have easily finished the whole thing, and it took all my effort to save some for Mr. K. Good thing he didn’t see the original bowl it was in. I’m going to have some explaining to do when he sees this post though..
Are you ready for Superbowl XLIX? What are your favourite game day snacks?
You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and GOOGLE-PLUS where I share pictures of what’s happening in my kitchen and all the other amazing recipes that I come across every day. You can also say hi to me through email too. Just by entering your email in the box below or on the side bar, you can make sure that you receive notification of all my recipes when they appear on the blog.