A sweet, tart, refreshing drink with the warmth & spicy flavour of ginger – this Homemade Ginger Limeade is simple to make and easy to adjust to your tastes. Add some vodka or tequila for an irresistible cocktail for the adults. Or make a double batch of the ginger lime syrup and keep it in the fridge to make ginger limeade whenever!
Refreshing and spicy Ginger Limeade for summer!
Summer, stuffy, stifling, hot, heat, humidity vs. cool, refreshing, sweet, tart, vibrant limeade with the tantalizingly spicy warmth of ginger. Some things in life just aren’t meant for a solo existence. They go hand in hand, pair-bonded for life, like a cool ginger limeade on a hot summer afternoon.
Everyone loves homemade lemonade, but what about homemade limeade? There’s something just as magical about a sweet and tart limeade that makes it impossible to say no, whenever you’re offered a tall glass of it. As I mentioned in my Salted Lime Sherbet post (which you should also definitely check out!), lime drinks were my favourite growing up. I loved the added tartness of limeade, especially with a touch of salt! But this homemade limeade recipe takes things up a notch with some fresh ginger and soda (instead of water), for a delightfully addictive homemade ginger limeade! You could also add some vodka, for an even more irresistible drink for the adults.
So, sparkling limeade and ginger ale combined for one delicious, sweet, tart, refreshing & spicy homemade ginger limeade drink – the perfect panacea for all your summer woes!
The ratios for my ginger limeade are simple and easy to remember. The only thing that varies is the amount of water to add. Why? Because, that’s all to do with one’s personal taste. Since both Mr K and I love a very strong ginger limeade drink, I mix 1 part ginger and lime syrup with a little less than 1 part liquid (water, club soda, vodka, tequila, whatever strikes your fancy). That warm, spicy ginger flavour comes through strikingly well in this recipe.
You can easily double the batch of this ginger lime syrup and keep it in the fridge to make a refreshing ginger limeade whenever you want to, or use it in a cocktail, or even freeze it in popsicle molds for some beautiful popsicles.
This ginger limeade is also a really great drink after a heavy meal, or one that doesn’t sit well in your stomach, because ginger and lime are a great combo to fight nausea, plus ginger has numerous health benefits as you all know. But I might be biased though – I’ve been drinking ginger juice for awhile now and eat pickled ginger on its own all the time, and I always have a jar of it in my fridge. So, it’s safe to say that I’m a big fan of ginger. 🙂
If you like the tart flavour of lime and the warming spice of ginger, then this ginger limeade is a must. The flavours are in great balance, while being contrasting, and that’s what makes this a favourite of ours no matter what time of year it is. We love it so much so that I’ve used this ginger limeade as a base for some incredible sparkling limeade vodka cocktails, and some with a really fun twist even, one of which I’ll be sharing tomorrow! 🙂
Want a hint? Scroll down to find out!
If you liked this recipe, then you may also like,
All natural COLOR CHANGING GALAXY LEMONADE
Looking for more recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Homemade Ginger Limeade
- 1.5 cups fresh lime juice I use about 10 -12 limes, but this may vary
- 3 oz fresh ginger roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp water (for the ginger)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups of ice cold soda water or water to dilute
- Place the 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer. Once all the sugar has dissolved and the syrup starts to boil, set it aside to cool.
- Place the 3 oz fresh ginger and 1 tbsp water (upto 3 tbsp) in a mini processor, and pulse until well blended and pureed. Strain the ginger juice through a sieve, pressing down on the pulp to get the most out of the ginger. Set aside ¼ cup of this ginger juice.
- Alternatively, if you have a juicer, juice enough ginger to get 3 tbsp of pure ginger juice.
- Mix the ginger and salt with the 1.5 cups of lime juice. Add up to 1 - 1.5 cups of sugar syrup to sweeten the ginger lime juice (change the amount of sugar you add according to your tastes).
- Pour into a clean bottle/jar with a closeable cap and leave in the fridge to chill until needed.
To make the ginger limeade drink
- To ensure the drink is nice and cold, make sure all components are chilled. You can use ice, but remember to add less liquid to compensate for the melting ice.
- Mix the ginger lime syrup with water or soda water at a 1:2 ratio or a 1:1 ratio (for a stronger drink). Keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy! Add more water if needed.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
You’re here for the hint, aren’t you?
Well then, here you go. A big ol’ hint for what’s
coming up on the blog tomorrow! on the blog now!
Leave a Review