If you like eating shrimp/prawns, then you’d love to be able to cook them to perfection too, right? And to do that, you need to learn how to clean shrimp first. Here are five different ways to clean and devein shrimp!
You can check out five different ways to clean shrimp in the video below.
Head on shrimp/prawn, cut along the “spine” to devein.
Head on shrimp/prawn, deveined using a toothpick (i.e. not cut along the “spine”).
Head off shrimp/prawn, deveined with shrimp shell.
Head off shrimp/prawn, deveined with shrimp shell off, tail on.
Head off shrimp/prawn, deveined with shrimp shell off, tail off.
You can devein the shrimp with the toothpick at any stage you like. I find it easier to peel the shell off, if I cut along the “spine”.
Here are some super flavorful recipes to try with shrimp/prawn.
- Sri Lankan shrimp curry
- Szechuan salt and pepper shrimp
- Asian-style steamed shrimp and mushroom parcels
- Cajun shrimp and avocado toast
- Spicy Asian popcorn shrimp bao
- Garlic lime shrimp rice noodles
- Easy teriyaki shrimp rice bowls
- Shrimp katsu sandwich
How to clean Shrimp - Five different methods
- 10 Head on shrimp or prawn or as needed as indicated in the recipe
- Please refer to the video for instructions on how to clean shrimp.10 Head on shrimp or prawn
- DO NOT discard the shrimp shell or heads as they can be used to make delicious stock.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”