This creamy overnight Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait truly is the ultimate make-ahead, healthy, delicious breakfast! Full of fiber, protein and all the cozy flavors of Fall, the holidays and pumpkin pie, this parfait is gluten free, paleo-friendly and vegan friendly.
I am SO READY for 2017! And to kiss 2016 good-bye! After an endless series of unfortunate events this year, 2017 can only be better.
I hope you guys are having a wonderful holiday season. The one thing I miss about Christmas in the USA is boxing day. All the boxing day sales, boxing day food, and most importantly the pay and half I used to get in my job in Australia on boxing day! 🙂
Our holiday this year was quiet and cold. Mr K and I also celebrate our wedding anniversary around the same time, so it’s usually a two-in-one package deal for us which we always enjoy. This year, part of our celebrations will include going to our new favorite Chinese restaurant in town – followed by some bubble tea and doughnuts. How’s that for a celebratory dinner combo? 🙂 Not having to cook our own meals and clean up afterwards is always the icing on top of the cake for me.
I’m sure many of you have been indulging in some holiday festivities these days. No shame in that. That’s as much a part of holidays as friends and family. And today, I’ve got the perfect post-holiday recipe for you – a breakfast so delicious, you’ll want to have it for dessert, a dessert so healthy, you’ll want to have it for breakfast! And it’s such a simple recipe, and a great way to keep the holiday spirit going without feeling like you’re indulging.
This pumpkin pie chia pudding parfait is gluten-free and vegan-friendly! I’ve always loved pumpkin in the form of a curry or soup, but pumpkin spice was a novel idea to me until I moved to the US. But now, I cannot get enough of it. Spices have always been my forte and I love incorporating spice mixes in my food any chance I get.
I’m generally not a morning person, even on my best day, and having a breakfast like this Overnight Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait to wake up to definitely helps! This stuff is SO GOOD on SO MANY levels, I just had to share it with you all.
So what’s so great about it?
- This is the kind of breakfast that makes you look forward to mornings! A deliciously satisfying, creamy, slightly sweet pudding parfait with all the cozy flavors of Fall and pumpkin pie, layered with thick and creamy Greek yoghurt, and topped with your favorite chopped nuts for some wonderful texture (I used pecans here, but walnuts, almonds would be great too).
- It’s a chia seed pudding which is actually flavored with the pumpkin pie and not simply layered on top. You guys all know the health benefits of chia seeds. They are a powerhouse of nutrients and they pack a lot of fiber, protein, calcium etc. (even the word “chia” apparently originated from a Mayan word meaning “strength”!). You have the option to add ground almonds to the porridge, which is another great source of protein and fiber! Plus it adds another flavor profile and makes the chia pudding creamier too.
- All that fiber and protein mean that this pumpkin pie chia pudding is extremely filling! Case in point – Mr K. He has gone through a lot of options for breakfast (cereal, oats, sandwich, smoothie etc.), but he’s amazed by how well this chia pudding parfait (which may not look very formidable) keeps him full until lunch. In fact, just 1 serving of this keeps him fuller for longer than eating double the amount of oats. So now, I always add at least 1 tbsp of chia seeds to any kind of breakfast he eats before work. This pumpkin pie chia pudding is his favorite for sure though. He’s officially a chia pudding fan now.
- This is the definition of a make-ahead breakfast. We have been making enough to last us a whole week and then keep it in the fridge. So we have an amazing breakfast ready for us, as soon as we are out of bed!
- This pumpkin pie chia pudding parfait is gluten-free, paleo-friendly and vegan-friendly. Use maple syrup for a paleo version, and a plant-based milk and coconut yoghurt to make it vegan.
- It tastes just like that creamy pumpkin pie filling we all love, without all the indulgent sweetness; a total win-win! I mean, it’s pumpkin pie for breakfast! Are you not excited? 🙂 In fact, we have had this for all three meals of the day. It’s just so versatile and it’s a great snack to eat any time of the day. And it’s a great way to go from the indulgent holiday season to “New Years resolution season”.
If you guys think I sound too excited about this pumpkin pie chia pudding parfait, it’s because I am. It’s simple, but it works like magic. And with everything-to-do-with-pumpkin season being here, we have been going through 2 cans of pumpkin every week these last couple of months just to make this chia pudding parfait! It’s a good thing that organic pumpkin puree cans been on sale since September at our local market. It’s going to be a tragedy when that comes to an end.
All you need to do make this pumpkin pie chia pudding is mix the milk, pumpkin puree, sweetener, chia seeds and pumpkin pie spice. Then shake and store it in the fridge for a few hours (at least 3 hours to overnight). The following morning or whenever you’re ready to have it, simply layer the chia seed pudding with your favorite yogurt, and almonds or pecans.
Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding ParfaitPrint
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk or plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar or honey or date syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- Small pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- OR 4 tbsp chia seeds and 2 tbsp ground almonds
- ½ cup of unsweetened Greek yogurt or unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup optional
- Chopped pecans
- In a large jar (with over 2 cup capacity), add the milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, and salt. Stir until everything is mixed.
- Stir in the chia seeds and almonds (if using).
- Cover and keep in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to overnight (I have kept this in the fridge for up to 24 hours).
- When you’re ready to eat, mix the yogurt and maple syrup.
- Layer the chia seeds and yogurt in 2 glasses and top with chopped pecans.
- Serve. Enjoy!
If you liked this overnight pumpkin pie chia pudding parfait recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
I’ll be sharing my recipe over at –