Clear out boring Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich. This is the big boys’ club. This is Major League. This Peanut Butter Swirled Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich is how ice cream sandwiches were meant to be! The brownies taste like Reese’s peanut butter cups and the ice cream tastes like popcorn. AND the whole thing is dipped in Chocolate Magic Shell to boot! That’s the flavours of candy bars, popcorn, chocolate, ice cream and brownies, all rolled in to one. THIS is how you should be indulging!
I did warn you guys about this post last week… 🙂
In the indubitable words of Emeril Lagasse – BAM!
This right here, is the one and only, my favourite movie night snack, and quite possibly the best dessert I made this summer – Fudgy Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches dipped in Chocolate! What a shame though, that I’m only unveiling these guys now, in the tail end of summer. But hey, the world isn’t going to stop spinning tomorrow right? It’ll be summer again soon enough (unless you live in Westeros, of course), and even sooner in the southern hemisphere.
If you have been around these parts before, you would know that I LOVE making ice cream. But what I’ve enjoyed even more this summer, is making ice cream brownie sandwiches!
I won’t lie – there is some prep time involved here before you can sink your teeth in to these bad boys. You need to let the brownie ice cream sandwich freeze after you assemble it, and then after you cut them. But I promise, they are absolutely worth it! These are meant to be eaten that way, straight out of the freezer (after you give the brownies a few minutes to thaw of course), so you can store them in the freezer and then take them out whenever the thermostat demands it!
To make it even more fun, you can dip them in chocolate, or better yet – have a dipping station if you’re serving these for guests, so that they can top their brownie ice cream sandwiches with sprinkles, nuts, nougat, popcorn or whatever!
Looking for more recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
PB Swirled Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich
- 7 oz of bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 sticks (8oz/ 230g) unsalted butter
- 8 oz / 226 g white sugar
- 2.1 oz / 60 g brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- A generous pinch of salt
- 90 g all purpose flour
Peanut butter swirl
- 8 oz smooth peanut butter make sure it's not sweet
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Ice cream Sandwich
- 1 recipe of Kettle Corn Popcorn Ice Cream OR about 1.4 L/ 48 oz of Ice cream (your favourite flavour)
- 1 recipe of Magic Chocolate Shell without the freeze dried raspberry
- Line a 17 x 11 inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C. (You can use a half sheet pan, but then brownie will come out slightly thinner).
- In a heatproof glass bowl, combine the salt, chocolate and butter. Heat in the microwave at 1 minute intervals, until the butter and chocolate have melted and it's smooth. You could melt these over a pot of simmering water as well (double boiler).
- Set aside until it is has cooled down a little and is warm to the touch. Add the sugar and vanilla and using a hand mixer, mix until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each egg. Mix in the flour by hand, or our hand-held mixer at low speed.
- Spread the mix evenly on the lined baking tray.
Peanut butter swirl
- Microwave the peanut butter for a few seconds until it has softened slightly (it should not be hot or liquidy).
- Add the powdered sugar and salt and mix well until smooth.
- Place dollops of the peanut butter mix on the brownie batter and swirl them into the brownie mix using a flat spatula or knife.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until a clean toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownie comes out with only a few crumbs attached (if your toothpick comes out completely clean, then it might be a little dry, but it'll still be great since it's going to be used for ice cream sandwiches).
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. Gently loosen the brownie from the pan and let it cool in the freezer till it's hard and easy to cut (few hours at least).
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Soften the ice cream slightly for a few minutes. Cut the brownie sheet in half and place scoops of ice cream on one half. Spread the ice cream over the surface, leaving about 1 inch of space along the edges. Place the other brownie half on top and press it down gently. Return to the freezer to harden (few hours or overnight).
- Cut the edges off. To get 12 bars, cut this in half lengthwise, and then each half into 6 bars (about 1.5 inches wide). Or you can cut them into whatever size you prefer!
- Serve immediately, or return them to the freezer for a few hours, if you want to dip them in chocolate.
- Make the Magic Chocolate Shell and dip one half of each cold brownie ice cream sandwich and let it set and harden on a parchment paper. One more option - Sprinkle whatever you like on the dipped half, before it sets.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
Storage -You can store these in the freezer (either dipped in chocolate or not). Make sure they are individually wrapped in parchment paper or freezer paper, so you can take them out whenever you decide to “treat yo’ self!”
If you or anyone else in your family has a peanut allergy – omit the peanut butter and substitute it with some cream cheese, or keep it plain.
I used kettle corn ice cream that I made (and shared the recipe for) last week for this sandwich, but you can use store bought ice cream. How about strawberry? Or maybe chocolate ice cream for double chocolate ice cream sandwiches? Or vanilla ice cream with funfetti for a coloureful variation? Or even neapolitan for the best of all three worlds? Variety is the dessert of life, you know.
If you’d like to dip them in a chocolate magic shell or even a flavoured magic shell, you can get my super easy recipe for it, right here. Or you could substitute the chocolate magic shell with melted chocolate candy wafers. How great would that be?
The peanut butter swirled chocolate brownies taste like a more fudgy, more delicious version of Reese’s peanut butter cups. Together with the creamy, sweet and salty combo of the popcorn flavoured kettle corn ice cream, this truly is the best dessert I’ve made this summer!
This was my idea of combining three of my favourite snacks – Reese’s peanut butter cups, popcorn (or kettle corn), and chocolate shell covered ice cream! And I certainly think I did great justice to all of those addictive flavours!
This is an ice cream sandwich unlike any you’ve seen before. You really should give these a try to see how such diverse and fantastic flavours can come together in one wicked dessert! And like I said before, these are stored in the freezer, so if you’re not in an indulgent mood, simply cut them into smaller pieces and store in the freezer for a steady supply of delicious brownie ice cream sandwiches, that will last for as long as you want to make them last!
If you liked this recipe don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes and updates by entering your email address below or in the box on the side-bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
Leave a Review