This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweetnSaltyHoliday #CollectiveBias
Chewy chocolate brownie brittle, coated with an addictive buttery toffee layer and then sprinkled with salt, salted pretzel pieces, chocolate and Dark Chocolate Wavy Lays potato chips! This Sweet and Salty Brownie And Butter Toffee Brittle is easy, customizable and makes for an excellent gift during the holiday season too!
I love the holiday season!
Back when I was living is Lismore, Australia – a small town with a lot of easy going folks – I loved making baked (and non-baked) goodies and giving them away to everyone I knew in town, especially during the holiday season. I would literally take cupcakes in a cart and hand them over to kids and adults, like I was Santa in training (just without all the secrecy and the getup, and Rudolph and his pals too of course).
And now I’m celebrating the holidays with my hubs and I wouldn’t trade that for anything! Plus, our anniversary is in December too, so there’s plenty of reason to celebrate! 🙂
So get ready for some sweet treats coming your way this month, treats to share with all your family and loved ones. ‘Tis the season for sweets after all, and this Sweet and Salty Brownie And Butter Toffee Brittle is one spectacular treat! Chewy chocolate brownie brittle, coated with an addictive buttery toffee layer and sprinkled with salt, salted pretzel pieces, chocolate AND Dark Chocolate Wavy Lays potato chips! How awesome does that sound??
Oh and one more thing.
Chocolate covered potato chips are a gift from the potato chip gods!
I mean really, whoever came up with that idea deserves a medal. I have always loved eating my French fries with chocolate fudge sauce and ice cream, but with potato chips – that unlocks a whole new world of potential.
Lays potato chips now has THREE different Chocolate Wavy Lays flavors to choose from at Target, for a limited time. You can choose between dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or milk chocolate with almond bits. Salty, fudgy, sweet, crispy… all in one bite. Oh, who are we kidding? You’re going to get all three just like I did, aren’t ya? 😉 See, that’s why we are friends! I even had a serious bonding moment with the lovely cashier at Target over these Chocolate Wavy Lays. Something this ingenious, brings people together! 🙂
My favorite is Milk Chocolate Wavy Lays, but the dark chocolate version works better for this recipe. It balances out the sweetness of the butter toffee layer, just a tad.
I actually wanted to make a version of my fudgy brownie cookies first, but I didn’t like what happened to the chocolate potato chips when they were baked. So instead, I made chocolate brownie brittle – which is super easy to make and is a brownie edge lover’s dream! Then I spread a buttery toffee brittle layer and added salted pretzels, potato chips and chocolate chips on top to make this brownie and butter toffee brittle. Once it cools down, you can break it into pieces (or cut if you prefer), and it’ll make the most addictive and delicious gift for someone you love. You know, like yourself.
The brownie layer crisps up as it cools down, but once the hot toffee layer is poured on top, the brownie becomes deliciously chewy. The cocoa powder adds a great depth of chocolate flavor to the brittle as well. The potato chips along with the salted pretzel pieces add a really nice salty crunch too.
This sweet and salty brownie and butter toffee brittle is very customizable too. You can top it off with your choice of nuts, popcorn, your favorite candy, hundreds and thousands (sprinkles) or even coconut. These make for an amazing gift for anyone with a sweet tooth. That is, if you don’t eat it all by yourself first.
- 3 tbsp butter, melted (warm but not hot)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup AP flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks butter)
- 1 cup of white sugar (200 g)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 packet of Dark Chocolate Wavy Lays Chips
- ½ cup chopped pretzels, or chopped nuts
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Extra salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a quarter pan sheet with parchment paper and butter the sides generously.
- Place the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and cocoa powder in a bowl and mix to form a smooth paste.
- Add the egg whites and whisk in, until completely incorporated and smooth.
- Sift the AP flour and baking soda into the mix, and fold the flour in to mix well.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly using an offset spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for exactly 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- Place the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a high edged saucepan (since this mix will bubble up while cooking).
- Heat over medium heat, mixing occasionally to melt the sugar completely and to bring the mix to a boil.
- Place a sugar thermometer in the saucepan and heat the sugar mix until it reaches 305°F (between 300-310°F). Stir occasionally to distribute the heat. The sugar will turn a golden amber color when it's ready.
- While the sugar is cooking, roughly chop the chocolate wavy lays potato chips to pieces (do not crush them).
- When the toffee is ready, pour the toffee layer over the cooled down brownie layer, and spread it while it’s still hot.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, chocolate wavy lays potato chips, chopped pretzels and salt over the hot toffee. Press down the wavy lays chips and pretzels into the caramel to make sure they are embedded.
- Leave to cool for 1 - 2 minutes. The chocolate chips will have softened at this stage and can be spread on top (around the chips and pretzels).
- Let it sit for at least 2 hours to let it completely set.
- Remove the brittle from the pan and break it into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Head on over to Target to get your hands on these Chocolate Wavy Lays potato chips! They are only available for a limited time – so better add them to your shopping list now. 🙂 Look for them in the Seasonal Specials aisle, along with lots of other holiday themed sweet treats.
If you liked this sweet and salty, brownie and butter toffee brittle recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
I’ll be sharing my recipe over at –