This post was sponsored on behalf of Maison Louis Jadot Wines via One2One Network. All opinions stated are my own. #LoveJadot
Creamy cajun pasta with cajun-style blackened chicken and Andouille sausage – this Creamy Chicken and Sausage Cajun Pasta is a spicy, herby, peppery and unabashedly flavourful, easy weeknight or weekend dinner that your whole family will love! Perfect with a glass of Jadot Wines!
As a food blogger, whenever I go out to eat, I’m not just going out to eat. I keep my antenna up, looking for that next bit of inspiration, our next favourite meal that I can try and replicate at home. So when Mr K and I visited our favourite local pub and restaurant a few weeks ago, we decided to try something different. We almost always order burgers when we go there (they make some awesome burgers!), but we wanted to change it up this time. Well, at least I did. Mr K chickened out in the end and ordered a burger. I chickened in (sorry) and ordered a Cajun Pasta dish (with chicken, let me tell you).
You know that moment when you know something’s good, but it’s just missing that oomph to push it over the edge and make it great? That one ingredient, or that one flavour profile, or that little bit of magic potion? That was that cajun pasta dish for me. It wasn’t quite a home run. So I needed to recreate it at home (sans magic potion, of course). So I did – with my own twist on the recipe! 🙂
And here it is – Creamy Chicken and Sausage Cajun Pasta, with a homemade blend of cajun spice that’s big on smoky, spicy, herby, peppery flavours! You can of course use pre-made cajun seasoning if you have it at home, but this homemade spice mix (get the recipe for that right here) truly is a powerhouse of flavour. I cooked the chicken first, to make cajun-style blackened chicken, which adds another layer of great flavour to this chicken and sausage cajun pasta dish! The creaminess for this pasta comes from the added half and half, but I have made this dish with greek yogurt, and it’s delicious! The pasta sauce with be thicker, so you may require a little extra water to thin it out, but it adds a delicious tanginess and freshness. Which also makes up for the fact that there’s no added cheese in this creamy cajun pasta dish either (other than the fresh parmesan that I used to top the dish with, because hey, I’m not a monster).
So what you get here is an incredibly delicious, creamy, spicy, smoky, peppery and utterly satisfying chicken and cajun pasta dish, that’s perfect with a glass of smooth Jadot Mâcon-Villages Chardonnay! The perfect week night or weekend dinner for Summer or any time of the year, that’s ready in under 40 minutes or even 30 if you’re good at multi-tasking.
You know cajun spice is all about flavour and that peppery heat. So when you make a dish that’s meant to be cajun, you want it to blow you away with all those flavours. That’s what this creamy cajun pasta is – blackened chicken and Andouille sausage, complete with a creamy pasta sauce that’ll leave you unabashedly licking the bowl/plate at the end.
This chicken and sausage cajun pasta will be ready in 40 minutes or even 30 if you’re good at multi-tasking (cook the pasta while you’re cooking the chicken and sausage). 10 minutes prep time, 10 – 15 minutes cooking time, just 2 minutes to serve and a good long time to leisurely enjoy a creamy cajun pasta dish that’s dripping with flavour, with a glass of wine. An easy and glorious dinner, and a great reason to break into my bottle of Jadot Mâcon-Villages Chardonnay! With delicious, fruity, crisp flavours, and a smooth, creamy finish, this Chardonnay was the perfect pairing with this spicy, creamy cajun pasta! If you’d like to read more about this fresh, delicious French wine with floral and fruity aromas, click here. Founded in 1859, they have earned themselves a reputation as one of the most revered wine houses in the region too.
We also had another bottle of Jadot Beaujolais -Villages, which was a beautiful red wine with a fabulous fruity, berry, peppery profile. While chicken may not be the perfect match for this red, I feel that cajun spice really complements the wine, so we are saving it for a delicious burger that I’ll be making later this week. 🙂
You know what else we paired this Chardonnay and the red wine with? I made a fun Basil and Vanilla Ice Cream recently (updated recipe post coming this week!), and it paired really well with the Chardonnay. And even the red wine went really well with the basil flavour of the ice cream!
So go ahead and make this creamy chicken and sausage cajun pasta, for an easy, flavourful weeknight or weekend dinner that your whole family will love!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 10 - 13 oz Andouille sausages, sliced
- 1 ½ green bell peppers, sliced thin
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3 ½ tbsp Cajun spice mix (add less, if you like it less spicy)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup half and half (or ¼ cup water and ¼ cup single cream)
- OR use ½ cup of Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan to serve
- 1 lb of uncooked Penne pasta
- Place a large pot of water with salt, over medium high heat and bring to a boil to cook the pasta. When the water comes to a boil, add the pasta and set the timer for 9 minutes (packet says 10-12 minutes, but you want it slightly under-cooked.) Drain the pasta, but reserve 1 - 2 cups of the pasta water.
- While, the pasta is cooking, place another pot or large pan over medium high heat and drizzle some olive oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the chicken, generous ¼ tsp salt, 1 tbsp Cajun spice and mix well. Increase heat to high, and cook the chicken for 5 minutes, till it shows good caramelization (about 5 - 6 minutes, depends on the heat of your pan). Place the chicken in a separate bowl and set aside until needed.
- Lower the heat to medium high and return the pan to the heat. Drizzle in some olive oil (if needed) and add the sliced Andouille sausages and fry until they start to show some good caramelization as well (about 5 minutes).
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, rest of the cajun spice mix, generous pinch of salt, 1 tsp brown sugar and saute until onion softens.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, the reserved cooked chicken, half and half or cream, and about ½ cup of the reserved pasta water and stir to combine. Mix in the pasta and simmer until the pasta is al dente. If you'd like more pasta sauce, add up to another cup of milk or pasta water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra black pepper on top (optional) and freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!
If you love seafood, you can substitute the chicken with shrimp and make an equally delicious Shrimp and Sausage Cajun pasta. 🙂 One recipe – 2 different options!
Do you know where you can find Jadot Wine? Find a local retailer here.
How would you make this creamy cajun pasta? With shrimp? Or chicken?
If you liked this Creamy Chicken and Sausage Cajun Pasta recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
I’ll be sharing my recipe over at –
Other recipes you may love