A luscious Bourbon Hot Chocolate (vegan and dairy free hot chocolate) with just 4 ingredients is just what MY doctor ordered for the winter! 🙂 A thick, rich, decadent hot chocolate with a splash of bourbon to warm you up from the inside!
You know it’s brutally cold when you check your phone for the weather outside and you wish it was above zero degrees (Fahrenheit!) already! That’s how bone-chilling it’s been these last few days and I couldn’t think of a more weather-appropriate recipe to share with you guys today than this Luscious Bourbon Hot Chocolate (Dairy Free French Hot Chocolate)! Even though it was a long weekend here in the US with a holiday on Monday, I had a busy one, all the while wishing I was instead curled up on the couch with a blanket around me and a mug of this deliciously thick and decadent bourbon hot chocolate in my hands. Editing the pictures for this post yesterday – another cold, gloomy day with sub-zero temperatures was the last straw, and we ended up making another batch of this rich, warming and satisfying bourbon hot chocolate to sip on in the evening. 🙂
To be honest even if it weren’t winter here right now, there’d be nothing stopping me from treating myself to a cup of this liquid chocolate gold, because it’s such an easy recipe to make with just 4 ingredients – almond milk, bittersweet chocolate, sugar and bourbon. I shared the recipe for a simple French hot chocolate before (for which you can find the recipe here), but here I used almond milk instead of regular milk, and added a generous dose of bourbon, because… well, why not? I can’t think of anything that would warm me up from the inside better than a boozy hot chocolate.
Why is French hot chocolate better than regular hot chocolate?
- French hot chocolate (also known as Parisian hot chocolate) is a thicker and more luscious hot chocolate compared to regular hot chocolate or hot cocoa.
- Traditionally, the hot chocolate is cooked over lower heat for a slightly longer time to achieve that thicker, richer consistency.
- You ONLY use 2 – 3 ingredients! Milk, bittersweet chocolate and a sweetener, which is optional. (I thought about saying the bourbon is also optional for this dairy free French hot chocolate recipe, but come on, who are we kidding? 🙂 )
Why do I think this luscious bourbon hot chocolate is quite possibly the best hot chocolate ever?
- It’s dairy free AND vegan, and it’s JUST as luscious and thick as it’s dairy counterpart (I’ve tried both versions multiple times each).
- It’s made with bittersweet chocolate which gives a deep, rich chocolate flavor.
- It’s not too sweet which allows the bourbon and chocolate flavors to shine through.
- It warms you up from the inside thanks to the hot chocolate as well as the bourbon. It’s just the perfect winter beverage for the adults.
Bourbon Hot Chocolate (Dairy Free and Vegan)Print
- 4 oz of good quality bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond Milk
- 4 fl oz bourbon whiskey
- 1 tbsp sugar optional
- 2 Marshmallows (Vegan marshmallows to keep it vegan)
- Dairy free / Vegan whipped topping
Add the bittersweet chocolate into a small saucepan with 1/2 cup of almond milk.
Heat over medium heat, while stirring, until the chocolate melts. Keep stirring to prevent the chocolate from burning, until you have a smooth chocolate sauce.
Add the rest of the milk and sugar (if using), and lower the heat to medium low.
Mix with a whisk to combine. Continue to heat the chocolate milk over medium low heat, whisking frequently, until the chocolate milk thickens (about 5 minutes).
Heating this over low heat (without letting it boil) will reduce the milk to a thick, luscious consistency. Whisking frequently is important to prevent a milk skin from forming on top - if a milk skin does form, whisk it back into the milk.
Add the bourbon and stir to mix.
- Serve in two small glasses or demitasse cups (it's a rich, robust drink, so a little goes a long way).
Serve with vegan marshmallows or dairy free whipping cream. Enjoy!
If you liked this bourbon hot chocolate (dairy free hot chocolate) recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.