Fruity, tangy, creamy, crunchy, spicy and with all the colors of the rainbow – these Rainbow colored Smoked Salmon Toasts with Passion fruit Hollandaise Sauce are a simple, yet fun, colorful, wholesome and flavor-packed breakfast/brunch!
There’s a kid in all of us, or so goes the saying. As for myself, I’m a total sucker for colorful, whimsical food! Put something rainbow colored in front of me, and I’m jumping for joy. Which is why I loved coming up with recipes like this color changing galaxy lemonade slushie, no churn galaxy ice cream, rainbow ice cream slice, color changing galaxy cocktails and fruit flavored shimmery liqueur among others! 🙂
That’s also why I’m excited (like a kid) about these Rainbow colored Smoked Salmon Toast with Passion fruit Hollandaise Sauce! I love eating smoked salmon (or lox), but we don’t buy it often since it’s expensive. When we do though, I make sure to enjoy it as best we can. 🙂 Since I also got a batch of fresh passion fruit, I knew I had to combine the two for a fun, summery brunch recipe.
So behold this easy smoked salmon toast recipe with a delightfully delicious passion fruit hollandaise sauce! The exotic, fruity, tropical flavors of passion fruit, with all the colors of the rainbow, on top of buttered, toasted bread! It might be pretty, but it tastes even better!
Here’s a quick breakdown of how I get the rainbow colors in these smoked salmon toasts –
Red – fresh tomato slices
Orange – smoked salmon and egg yolk (which is more of an orange-ish yellow)
Yellow – egg yolk and passion fruit hollandaise (yes, I made an easy hollandaise sauce with fresh passionfruit, and it’s truly INCREDIBLE!)
Green – chopped dill and green peppercorn
Blue – blue Spirulina cream cheese
Violet – red/purple cabbage and red onions
So first I buttered and grilled slices of bread (you can use any kind of bread you like – even flat bread), and spread the blue spirulina cream cheese on top, then topped with red/purple cabbage, onions, and tomatoes. That’s followed by a beautiful egg with a deliciously runny yolk, smoked salmon and a dollop of that awesome passion fruit hollandaise sauce, and finally chopped herbs and green peppercorns!
Every bite, every ingredient contributes to a flavor-packed, wholesome brunch! Yes, the blue spirulina is more of a gimmick in that it doesn’t really add any flavor, only that natural blue color, so feel free to leave it out if you can’t find it. I just had to have it for that fun, colorful rainbow twist on these smoked salmon toasts! 🙂
And if you can’t find fresh passion fruit, you can easily use frozen passionfruit or freeze dried passion fruit instead. If you have never had passion fruit before, I cannot recommend it enough! It has a uniquely tropical sweet, tart flavor that perks up the flavors of anything it’s paired with. Another great option would be to use raspberry puree (for a red hollandaise sauce). Or you can always use regular freshly squeezed lemon juice or bottled hollandaise sauce instead.
This is a really simple brunch to put together. You just have to prep all the ingredients (slice and chop), and place them all on a tray. How beautiful is to present all the rainbow colored toppings in one tray (as you can see in the photos) for everyone to help themselves?
The only components of this smoked salmon toast that need some prepping are –
- the eggs (fry, poach or prepare the eggs however you like)
- blue spirulina cream cheese (no prepping needed if you’re using regular cream cheese spread)
- and the passion fruit hollandaise sauce
I make the passion fruit hollandaise sauce with a hand blender to make things easier for me. One reason I like to use the hand blender for this is that the passion fruit pulp (including the seeds) is blended into the hollandaise, giving the impression of black pepper, when it’s just the crushed seeds. If you’re whisking the hollandaise sauce, I would recommend straining the passion fruit pulp first to remove the seeds.
A few tips on how to make passion fruit hollandaise sauce (or any kind of hollandaise sauce) –
- Keep the blender warm. You can do this by pouring hot water into the bowl/jug/jar that you will be making the hollandaise sauce in. Then empty it after a few minutes to make sure the egg yolks are whipped in a warm container. OR you can whisk/blend the eggs, while the bowl or jug is placed in warm water, creating a warm water bath.
- Make the hollandaise sauce right at the end, because it’s best eaten Immediately. If you do have to make it ahead, cover the sauce tightly soon after you make it and refrigerate until you need it (not more than 2 -3 hours unless the yolks are pasteurized). Then heat it up gently while mixing continuously in a water bath, or in very short bursts (10-15 seconds) in the microwave. This is really important, to make sure you do not curdle the eggs. Add a little egg white if you are going to make the sauce ahead of time, as egg white helps prevent curdling as well
The passion fruit really shines through in these smoked salmon toasts, not just in appearance, but in flavor as well! It brightens up the whole meal, while complementing the smoked salmon. I also love using green peppercorns since they are flavorful, plus they’re like the spicy (and less tangy) version of capers. If you can’t get your hands on brined (or fresh) green pepper corns, you can use capers instead.I hope you guys love all the creamy, crunchy, spicy, fruity, tangy flavors and textures in this smoked salmon toast with passion fruit hollandaise sauce! It’s great as a brunch meal or even as party food.
Smoked Salmon Toast with Passion fruit Hollandaise Sauce
Blue Spirulina Cream Cheese
- ½ cup cream cheese spread
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp blue spirulina
Passion fruit Hollandaise Sauce (makes about 1 cup)
- ½ - 1 ripe passion fruit about 2 tbsp passion fruit pulp / 1 tbsp passion fruit juice with no seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 organic egg yolks
- 1 cup of butter melted and warm
- Salt to taste
- 4 slices of bread toasted (I used Italian bread slices, but you can use any kind of bread you like)
- Pulp from 1 passion fruit
- 4 oz of smoked salmon slices
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced red cabbage
- Sliced roma tomatoes
- Chopped dill
- 4 tsp brined or fresh green peppercorn (more or less, depending on how spicy you like it)
- 4 eggs fried or poached
Blue Spirulina Cream Cheese
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well with a spoon until the spirulina has mixed in with the cream cheese. Keep refrigerated. Use regular cream cheese spread, if you want to skip the blue spread.
Passion Fruit Hollandaise Sauce
- Place some very hot water in the jar that you'll be using to make the hollandaise sauce. Remove the hot water after a few minutes. This is to ensure that the jar you are using is to make this sauce is kept very warm.
- Place the egg yolks, passion fruit and lemon juice in the warm jar. Whisk until the egg yolks are frothy and pale.
- Switch to a hand blender, and turn it on while it’s placed in the egg yolk mix. Slowly drizzle in the warm butter in a thin stream while running the hand blender. Add warm butter until you have a creamy, thick and smooth sauce (I added about ¾ of a cup, but it can take up to 1 cup). Use immediately or keep covered in a warm water bath until needed. Whisk well before using.
Smoked Salmon Toast
- Spread the blue spirulina cream cheese on the toast.
- Top it with the red cabbage, red onions, tomatoes and chopped dill. Top one half with the fried egg, and the other half with smoked salmon slices.
- Spoon a dollop of the hollandaise sauce along with some fresh passion fruit and green peppercorns over the toasts. Serve immediately.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
If you liked this rainbow colored smoked salmon toast with passion fruit hollandaise sauce recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.