There is something about lemonade that takes me back to my childhood. Not that I used to run lemonade stands (in Sri Lanka, that’s unheard of), but it was one of those versatile drinks that I used to have often, either when visiting friends and family or even as a quick remedy of mild aches, pains and sickness. Now that I’m no longer a child (which my husband expresses doubts about occasionally though) I wanted to kick it up a notch and make it a bit more adult-friendly. Given all the fruits that are in season and readily available these days, I decided on a fruity lemonade with some limencello and vodka. So here’s my beautiful, fruity, boozy Strawberry, Apple Lemonade Cocktail with a secret ingredient….. Rose Water !
Rose water gives an amazing floral smell and subtle flavour that truly elevates this drink several notches! It is optional, but if you can, you must try it!
I made this with fresh strawberries, apples and lemons. You can substitute with frozen strawberries and fresh apple juice, but you have to use freshly squeezed lemon juice. I use limencello because it intensifies the lemon flavour (limencello is a beautiful lemon liqueur with a refreshing taste). However, if you don’t have it you can substitute it with vodka.
I started off by removing the stems from the strawberries and cutting the apples to remove the core. I processed them together till they became a pulp. Then I strained it through a nut-milk bag. If you don’t have a nut milk bag, you can strain it through a fine sieve as well. This recipe gave me about 1.5 pints.
If you have a juicer, juice the apple and then blend and strain the strawberries.
Like I said before, the rose water truly brightened up this cocktail with its wonderful floral fragrance. Even if you don’t have any, you can omit this and still have an amazing cocktail.
Strawberry Apple Lemonade Cocktail
- 7 oz Strawberries stems removed
- 2 medium size Green apples quartered and cored
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup limencello or any citrus liqueur or vodka
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 tsp Rose water or a couple of drops of rose essence Optional
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water heated till it boils and the sugar dissolves.
- Process the Strawberry and Apple in a food processor until completely blended and then strain it using a fine sieve or nut milk bag.
- OR you can juice the apples and mix it with processed and strained strawberry juice to make up approximately 1.5 pints.
- Mix in a pinch of salt, lemon juice, vodka and limencello and stir to mix well.
- Add sugar syrup to taste.
- Add 1 tsp of rose water or a couple of drops of rose essence to add a beautiful floral fragrance.
- Store in the fridge for a few hours until completely chilled.
- Serve with a few slices of lemon, or apple.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
I’m happy to say that my husband went nuts over this cocktail! I kid you not. He loved it so much, he’s willing to wager that this is the best cocktail he’s ever had. I hope you can try it too! It’s the perfect fruity drink with an adult twist. What better way to savour a nice, warm fall weekend right at home with the company of your loved ones?
Follow me on facebook, twitter, instagram and google plus or subscribe with your email for updates on the blog. There are so many great ideas and recipes I want to try out and share with you all! And you can leave me a comment below if you have any ideas too or just want to show me some love! 🙂