Crispy, crunchy, spicy, salty and sweet – these Easy, Berry and Cheese Palmiers are a delicious savory twist on the classic. Puff pastry, cheese and fruit spread are all you need for this PERFECT party appetizer!
Party food is great! So is being an adult. It means that you can make and eat party appetizers even if you don’t have a party. And if you were so inclined, what’s stopping you from making a whole meal or two out of party appetizers alone? I’m also a firm believer in the notion that you could NEVER have too many party appetizers; especially fancy, delicious AND surprisingly easy recipes like these Berry and Cheese Palmiers! Made with just 3 ingredients – store bought puff pastry, cheese and Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spread.
Yes, they really are almost too good to believe. Easy, cheap to make, and look so sophisticated that your guests might think you were some kind of host/hostess extraordinaire. You truly are one, after all.
The ingredients are what make these berry and cheese palmiers such a delectable appetizer recipe. If you really want to blow your guests away with your skills, I’ve got a really popular recipe on the blog for quick and easy homemade puff pastry. 🙂 Alternatively, some good quality store-bought puff pastry sheets will do just fine! 🙂 Use a flavorful cheese, like a creamy muenster for a creamier taste or something sharp like cheddar. Most importantly, use a delicious fruit spread made with REAL fruits. This Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spread checks all those boxes! It tastes heaps better because it’s naturally sweetened with honey, you can see and taste bits of fruit in it, and because it tastes so good, it makes recipes taste better with very little effort!
You can actually choose from so many different flavors of Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spreads – like, Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Triple Berry Fruit Spread, Strawberry, Strawberry Jalapeno (that I used for these Frozen Cheesecake bites), Blueberry Lemon, and the new Concord Grape Fruit spread!
Palmiers are a sweet cookie-like French pastry with that classic “palm” or “elephant ear” shape. Traditionally, they are a sweet treat, made with puff pastry and covered with sugar that gets caramelized as it gets baked. These easy berry and cheese palmiers are a savory twist on the classic, making them perfect as appetizers for parties and dinners and any type of gathering. I also baked these on top of shredded cheese, so that the bottom of these savory palmiers become crunchy with melted and caramelized cheese. That sweet and savory flavor combo you get with the fruit spread and the cheese makes these PERFECT on any kind of cheeseboard because these savory palmiers are a gourmet upgrade and a lovely substitute for crackers.
So all you need to do is apply the fruit spread evenly over the puff pastry sheet, followed by shredded cheese and optionally some freshly cracked pepper (this adds a truly dynamite flavor dimension!), then roll up the puff pastry sheet from both sides towards the middle as tightly as you can until they meed in the middle. Then wrap this pastry log with parchment paper and freeze it for just a few minutes until it’s chilled. This just makes it easier to slice it before baking.
Then slice, bake and serve!
You can use any of the Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spreads that you like. The strawberry jalapeno spread, blueberry lemon spread, and triple berry spread are all great choices for these savory palmiers.
You can also play with the flavor combinations using different types of cheese or a combination of multiple types of cheese top. Like parmesan (the fresh kind, not the pre-grated kind), cheddar, pepper jack, monterey jack, or even goat’s cheese. However, I would not recommend a really soft, melty cheese for this recipe because it would be hard to maintain that beautiful shape of these berry and cheese palmiers if the cheese melted into the stretchy pastry. So cheese like mozzarella, provolone, or soft cheese like brie or camembert would NOT be a good choice. Now, if you wanted to SERVE these with all that stretchy, melty cheese goodness on the side, I say go for it!
Here are some ideas for flavor combinations –
Strawberry and goat cheese palmiers
Triple berry and white cheddar palmiers
Triple berry and aged gouda (not smoked), or Muenster cheese
Blueberry lemon and goat cheese or manchego
So many possibilities, all on an easy canvass of puff pastry, so go crazy with your imagination! Crispy, crunchy, spicy, salty and sweet – they are spectacularly delicious and unbelievably easy, plus relatively cheap as a neat party appetizer.
Would you judge us if Mr K and I had just these cheese palmiers for dinner? And breakfast the following morning? Well, too late for that now.
Easy, 3 ingredient Berry and Cheese Palmiers ( Savory Palmiers )
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed (about 245 g)
- 4 tbsp Berry Fruit Spread Jelly (Jam) Mixed berry, strawberry or raspberry
- 1 ½ cups white cheddar shredded
- Cracked black pepper optional
- Honey optional
- Place the puff pastry sheet on top of a parchment paper. Apply fruit spread evenly over the puff pastry sheet. If there are bits of fruit in the spread, that's OK.1 sheet frozen puff pastry, 4 tbsp Berry Fruit Spread Jelly (Jam)
- Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese on top (as much as needed). There should be at least about ½ cup of shredded cheese leftover - set that aside for later.1 ½ cups white cheddar
- Optional - sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper over the cheese.Cracked black pepper
- Roll up the puff pastry from both sides until it meets in the middle. Make sure it's rolled up fairly snugly.
- Wrap the log in the parchment paper and keep it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. IF you freeze this overnight, just leave it out on the counter to let it thaw out enough to be sliceable.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the leftover ½ cup of cheese over this parchment paper.
- When the pastry log is chilled, slice into ½ cm thick slices.
- Place each slice on top of the cheese with about ¾ inch of space between each palmier.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the puff pastry turns golden brown in color.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool down.
- Serve while warm and crispy with an optional drizzle of honey on top. Enjoy!Honey
Tips & Tricks
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”