How do you have your coffee and eat your cake too? With this Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae with Chocolate Fudge and Crunchy Coffee Streusel! Inspired and made with caramel coffee cake flavored coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts®! It’s a cup of coffee with a side of delicious indulgence.
If you have visited my blog before, you will know that I have a deep affection for coffee. 🙂 I would not have gotten through university if it weren’t for that freshly brewed cup of coffee every day. Years later, it’s still my drink of choice to turbo charge my day, every day. Every now and then, I make my coffee time special with a delicious slice of cake or cookies or cinnamon buns or a slice of babka or any kind of baked pastry, really. It’s a list that goes on and on.
And that’s why I’m loving this new Bakery Series® coffee flavors by Dunkin’ Donuts®! It’s coffee + a good dose of your favorite baked goods! It’s such an exciting way to start your day. I have tried Cinnamon Coffee Roll Coffee as well as Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee and let me tell you, the smell of these coffees along will get me off my bed in a flash. And they taste even netter. You should also be able to find Chocolate Doughnut and Vanilla Cupcake flavors too in the coffee aisle at your local supermarket.
I got my whole family hooked on coffee soon after I got trained to be a barista back when I was in university (and developed a whole new appreciation for coffee) – and now Mr K as well! I used to live very close (habit-formingly close) to a cafe as a student, and one of the drinks that I absolutely loved was a HOT and COLD spiced affogato coffee/mocha, especially during colder climes. It was an experience to have one, because the drink is piping hot, but then it’s served with ice-cold creamy vanilla ice cream. That striking hot and cold combo was something my brain feasted on!
So, I decided to make a gourmet version of that drink with Dunkin’ Donuts® Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee! A Gourmet Hot and Cold Caramel Coffee Cake flavored Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae!
A very generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, topped with hot milk, a hot shot of espresso (or very strong coffee), whipped cream and then to make it an even better treat – mocha fudge sauce and crunchy coffee streusel!
Yep, you read that right – coffee streusel! Caramelized crunchy streusel, baked into crunchy perfection with the added kick of coffee IN the streusel itself – to complete that coffee cake flavor and experience! It’s the perfect topping on this coffee affogato and great as a snack by itself too. In fact my husband has been adding it to his cereal and oats and even started taking it to work to snack on!
I don’t know about you, but I’m that kind of person who leaves the good bits of anything I eat or drink till the end, so I can take my time and enjoy it more leisurely. 🙂 And that applies to the delicious and crunchy streusel bits on coffee cakes as well. So it’s no surprise that I just HAD to incorporate that element into my coffee affogato ice cream sundae! Especially, when it’s flavored like caramel coffee cake to begin with!
This is everything you love about coffee cake in one decadent dessert drink!
Beautiful caramel notes in the coffee,
A crunchy caramel coffee streusel topping,
A good hit of hot espresso,
Ice cold creamy vanilla ice cream,
Chocolate fudge sauce
All in one cup!
You can brew the coffee for this affogato ice cream sundae in two different ways.
The way I love to make my coffee is using a Moka pot or my Brikka pot. I get to have a nice strong shot of espresso (or even a double shot).
Or you can use a french press or your drip coffee to brew extra strength coffee instead.
This Dunkin’ Donuts® Bakery Series® coffee range truly is the perfect way to have your coffee and eat your cake too! So go on and treat yo’self! 🙂
Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae
Caramel and Coffee Crunchy Streusel (makes about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ tbsp of Dunkin’ Donut Bakery Series Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee
- 1 cup of rolled oats/old fashioned oats
- ½ cup AP flour or GF flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup peanuts or sliced almonds
- 6 tbsp chilled butter cut into cubes
Mocha Fudge Sauce (makes about 2 cups)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 1 espresso shot
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder I use Valrhona cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 7 oz semisweet chocolate chopped or chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae (4 serving)
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk to serve
- Whipped cream
- 4 shots espresso or 1 cup strongly brewed coffee
- Mocha Fudge Sauce
- Coffee Streusel
Caramel and Coffee Crunchy Streusel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.1 ½ tbsp of Dunkin’ Donut Bakery Series Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee, 1 cup of rolled oats/old fashioned oats, ½ cup AP flour, ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup white sugar, Generous pinch of salt, ½ cup peanuts, 6 tbsp chilled butter
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Use your fingers to break/rub the butter into the rest of the ingredients until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Place the streusel on a baking tray and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the streusel mix turns golden brown in color, stirring the mix once halfway through baking time.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Break into pieces and store in an air-tight container until needed.
Mocha Fudge Sauce
- Place all the ingredients except for the chocolate and butter in a saucepan.⅔ cup heavy cream, ¼ cup corn syrup, 1 espresso shot, ¼ cup white sugar, ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar, ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat the saucepan over medium-high heat and whisk the mix to melt the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and butter.7 oz semisweet chocolate, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pour the chocolate into a glass jar and let it cool completely before use.
Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae
- Place 1 generous scoop of vanilla ice cream in each serving mug (4 mugs total).4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Top each with about a ¼ cup of milk, immediately followed by 1 espresso shot or ¼ cup strongly brewed coffee.1 cup milk, 4 shots espresso
- Top this with whipped cream, streusel and mocha fudge sauce, and serve immediately.Whipped cream, Mocha Fudge Sauce, Coffee Streusel
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”