Thank you Dunkin’ Donut® Coffee – Dunkin’ at Home for sponsoring this post. All opinions and ideas are my own. #DunkinAtHome
How do you have your coffee and eat your cake too? With this Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae with Chocolate Fudge and Crunchy Coffee Streusel! Inspired and made with caramel coffee cake flavored coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts®! It’s a cup of coffee with a side of delicious indulgence.
If you have visited my blog before, you will know that I have a deep affection for coffee. 🙂 I would not have gotten through university if it weren’t for that freshly brewed cup of coffee every day. Years later, it’s still my drink of choice to turbo charge my day, every day. Every now and then, I make my coffee time special with a delicious slice of cake or cookies or cinnamon buns or a slice of babka or any kind of baked pastry, really. It’s a list that goes on and on.
And that’s why I’m loving this new Bakery Series® coffee flavors by Dunkin’ Donuts®! It’s coffee + a good dose of your favorite baked goods! It’s such an exciting way to start your day. I have tried Cinnamon Coffee Roll Coffee as well as Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee and let me tell you, the smell of these coffees along will get me off my bed in a flash. And they taste even netter. You should also be able to find Chocolate Doughnut and Vanilla Cupcake flavors too in the coffee aisle at your local supermarket.
I got my whole family hooked on coffee soon after I got trained to be a barista back when I was in university (and developed a whole new appreciation for coffee) – and now Mr K as well! I used to live very close (habit-formingly close) to a cafe as a student, and one of the drinks that I absolutely loved was a HOT and COLD spiced affogato coffee/mocha, especially during colder climes. It was an experience to have one, because the drink is piping hot, but then it’s served with ice-cold creamy vanilla ice cream. That striking hot and cold combo was something my brain feasted on!
So, I decided to make a gourmet version of that drink with Dunkin’ Donuts® Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee! A Gourmet Hot and Cold Caramel Coffee Cake flavored Coffee Affogato Ice Cream Sundae!
A very generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, topped with hot milk, a hot shot of espresso (or very strong coffee), whipped cream and then to make it an even better treat – mocha fudge sauce and crunchy coffee streusel!
Yep, you read that right – coffee streusel! Caramelized crunchy streusel, baked into crunchy perfection with the added kick of coffee IN the streusel itself – to complete that coffee cake flavor and experience! It’s the perfect topping on this coffee affogato and great as a snack by itself too. In fact my husband has been adding it to his cereal and oats and even started taking it to work to snack on!
I don’t know about you, but I’m that kind of person who leaves the good bits of anything I eat or drink till the end, so I can take my time and enjoy it more leisurely. 🙂 And that applies to the delicious and crunchy streusel bits on coffee cakes as well. So it’s no surprise that I just HAD to incorporate that element into my coffee affogato ice cream sundae! Especially, when it’s flavored like caramel coffee cake to begin with!
This is everything you love about coffee cake in one decadent dessert drink!
Beautiful caramel notes in the coffee,
A crunchy caramel coffee streusel topping,
A good hit of hot espresso,
Ice cold creamy vanilla ice cream,
Chocolate fudge sauce
All in one cup!
You can brew the coffee for this affogato ice cream sundae in two different ways.
The way I love to make my coffee is using a Moka pot or my Brikka pot. I get to have a nice strong shot of espresso (or even a double shot).
Or you can use a french press or your drip coffee to brew extra strength coffee instead.
This Dunkin’ Donuts® Bakery Series® coffee range truly is the perfect way to have your coffee and eat your cake too! So go on and treat yo’self! 🙂
- 1 ½ tbsp of Dunkin’ Donut® Bakery Series® Caramel Coffee Cake Coffee
- 1 cup of rolled oats/old fashioned oats
- ½ cup AP flour (or GF flour)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup of peanuts or sliced almonds
- 6 tbsp chilled butter, cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup heavy or whipping cream
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 1 espresso shot
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Valhorna natural cocoa powder)
- ¼ tsp of kosher salt
- 7 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 heaping scoop of good quality vanilla ice cream (completely frozen)
- Hot milk or half and half (to serve)
- Whipped cream
- Double shot (about ¼ cup) of espresso fromDunkin’ Donut® Bakery Series® Caramel Coffee Cake coffee (brewed from a Moka pot or very strong coffee from a french press)
- Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- Coffee Streusel
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Use your fingers to break/rub the butter into the rest of the ingredients until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Place the streusel on a baking tray and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the streusel mix turns a golden brown, stirring the mix once, halfway through baking time.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container until needed.
- Place all the ingredients except for the chocolate and butter in a saucepan.
- Heat pan over medium high heat and whisk the mix to melt the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and butter.
- Pour the chocolate into a glass jar and let it cool completely before use.
- Place 1 generous scoop of ice cold creamy vanilla ice cream in a serving mug.
- Top it with about a ¼ cup - ⅓ cup of hot milk, immediately followed by the espresso or strongly brewed coffee.
- Top this with whipped cream, streusel and mocha fudge sauce, and serve immediately.
If you liked this coffee affogato ice cream sundae recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
I’ll be sharing my recipe over at –