This classic chocolatey, decadent dessert gets a fruity, boozy twist in this Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding with Strawberry and Bourbon. For even better results, add a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top and then pour some easy chocolate magic shell sauce over it. This is a super easy, fool-proof recipe with guaranteed delicious results! (RECIPE + VIDEO)
When I was in grade school, I used to get chocolate on Valentine’s day from my oldest cousin who would leave a small box of chocolate on my doorstep, and then later I’d draw her a picture as a thank you. 🙂 As I grew older though, Valentine’s was less about the chubby dude with wings and a bow and arrow and more about chocolate deals and sales. If you haven’t read it on this blog before, let me tell you for the 19 millionth time that chocolate is my absolute favourite ingredient! Which makes Valentine’s day an enticing proposition even though Mr K and I never celebrate it.
So once again this year, we will complain about the absurdity of what Valentine’s day has become while enjoying a glorious chocolate dessert and one of our favourite shows on Netflix. 🙂 And I’ve got just the thing for you guys today! A delightfully chocolatey, warm, decadent, Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding with hidden strawberry and bourbon flavours!
Here’s the recipe video for self saucing chocolate pudding with strawberry & bourbon. If you can’t see the video player below, please click here.
Self saucing chocolate pudding is pretty self-explanatory. 🙂 This stuff is addictive. And the best thing about this recipe is that, it’s so easy to put together, that it could be an awesome last-minute treat for valentine’s day or for any other day really. And because it’s warm, it’s perfect for cold winter days and nights. It’s a deliciously fudgy chocolate cake with a rich, gooey chocolate sauce inside. You dig into the chocolate cake and scoop out a piece, and a warm, luscious chocolate sauce comes flooding in. How does it get any better than that? Well, I’ll tell you how. With the hidden flavour of strawberry and a dose of bourbon, is how. And then a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top. This my friends, is one of those rare times when the words sinful and heaven go together in the same sentence.
- 115g / 4oz butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup bourbon (or substitute with another ¼ cup of milk for a non-alcoholic version)
- 115g / 4oz white sugar
- 180g / 6.3oz AP flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 30g / 1oz cocoa powder, sifted
- 120g /4.2oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 115g / 4oz strawberry/raspberry jam (jelly)
- 150g / 5.3oz brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 400mL boiling water
- 3 tbsp bourbon (optional)
- Butter a 8-9 inch oven-safe deep dish. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Combine the melted butter, bourbon (if using) and milk, and then whisk in the eggs.
- Mix the sifted flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt in a separate bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while mixing. Mix until you have a smooth batter. Add the chocolate chips and stir them in.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared oven-safe dish and spread it evenly. Add a dollop of jam on top and spread. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and cocoa powder together. Sprinkle this evenly on top of the batter.
- Measure out the boiling water and stir in the bourbon (if using).
- Pour the boiling water on top of the batter. (To pour it evenly, you could pour it along the back of a large spoon, while moving the spoon over the surface of the batter).
- Immediately place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the middle of the cake/pudding is springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes. Serve while warm with whipped cream or a dollop of ice cream.
The chocolate cake is light and moist with fruity strawberry flavour and a boozy dose of bourbon. The sauce is smooth, dark and rich. This is a super easy, fool-proof recipe, with deliciously addictive results that kids would love too (without the bourbon of course). So go ahead and give it a whirl this weekend or on any other occasion when something indulgent is called for. And to make it even more spectacular, I made this ridiculously easy chocolate magic shell sauce which immediately hardens into a firm, snappy, matte chocolate shell when poured over the cold vanilla ice cream. 🙂 You’re not going to come by too many decadent, chocolatey desserts that are easier than this Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding.
If you liked this recipe don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipes by entering your email address below or on the side bar (and get all these recipes delivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You can find me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and GOOGLE-PLUS too.
I’ll be sharing my recipe over at –